Click It or Ticket This Thanksgiving and Every Day

 *The Thanksgiving holiday is one of the busiest travel times of the year, which means more vehicles will be on the roads.  Increased vehicle activity leads to the potential for more crashes and more fatalities.

*Failing to buckle up puts you and other vehicle passengers in a potentially deadly situation.  It's also against the law-plain and simple.  There's never an excuse to not wear your seat belt.

*The Click It or Ticket campaign combines increased awareness with increased patrolling to reach as many Americans as possible with one key message:  Wearing a seat belt is the single most effective way to save your life and the lives of your loved ones while on the road this Thanksgiving.

This Thanksgiving--and every day of the year--remember, Click It or Ticket.  For more information, please visit www.nhtsa.gov.

Commit to Distraction-Free Driving

Distracted driving kills and injures thousands of people each year.

   

I pledge to:

 

 

  • Protect lives by never texting or talking on the phone while driving.

  • Be a good passenger and speak out if the driver in my car is distracted.

  • Encourage my friends and family to drive phone-free.

Title. Double click me.

New Seat Belt Law....

Starting May 12, 2015, wearing a seat belt is a primary law in Utah (UT Code 41-6a-1803).  This means law enforcement can now stop, educate, and cite individuals for driving or riding unbuckled on Utah roads.  All vehicle occupants must wear seat belts and children ages 8 and younger must be properly restrained in a car seat or booster seat.  The enforcement aspect of this new law is focused on increasing seat belt education to change behavior and save lives.

 

 

        In 2014 there were 72 unbuckled fatalities, accounting for nearly half of Utah's total roadway fatalities last year (excluding pedestrian, bicyclist and motorcycle fatalities).  Observational surveys completed by the Utah Highway Safety Office report 83 percent seat belt usage in Utah.  This means the remaining 17 percent of our population continue to drive unbuckled and contribute to nearly half of our roadway fatalities.  Utah's new primary seat belt law aims to change these statistics.  

       When violators are stopped by law enforcement, they will receive instruction on the importance of seat belt use along with an information card that includes seat belt safety statistics and a call to action to change their behavior and buckle up.  The card can be viewed online and it contains statistics which include:

 

  • Seat belts are the single most effective traffic safety device for preventing death and injury.

  • Seat belts help the driver stay in the driver seat to maintain control of the vehicle.

  • In a crash, unbuckled passengers can become a projectile and increase the risk of hurting or killing others in the car by 40 percent.

 

To further encourage seat belt use, violators who receive a citation will be offered an option to take an online seat belt safety course where, upon completion of the course, a seat belt fine of $45 will be waived.  Coming in June an online 30-minute course will be available through the Utah Safety Council.  It will provide videos, stories and information on seat belt use.

Address:
28 South 100 East
Price, UT 84501

bgarff@utah.gov
Tel: 435-637-3671
Fax: 435-637-1933

Copyright© Seuhealth.com 2013.

All rights reserved.

 

Web Development by

LiLbillboards.com